Financial Aid and Veterans Assistance: Making Career Training More Affordable
Our students, and students who are Veterans, have access to affordable educational programs specifically personalized to help them begin careers in the health care industry. Also, High Desert Medical College is proud to offer Veterans Assistance, approved through the State Department of Veterans Affair.
Here is a listing of Financial Aid options available at HDMC with descriptions:
- Federal Pell Grant – Students are not required to repay grants. This grant ranges in value from $400 to $5000 or more, with the award amount depending on the student’s family financial situation, enrollment status, and the education remaining during the award year (July 1 – June 30).
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program – Students with exceptional financial needs can receive this grant. It is awarded in addition to Pell Grant funds, if the student qualifies.
- Direct Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan Program – These loans have their interest paid by the government while the student attends college. Up to $3,500 can be borrowed the first academic year, and up to $4,500 during the second. Repayment begins six months after the last day of attendance.
- Direct Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan Program – Interest on these loans is paid by the student while they attend college. $3,500 of combines subsidized/unsubsidized, plus $6,000 in unsubsidized funds can be borrowed during the first academic year. Those numbers increase to $4,500 and $6,000 in the second academic year. Repayment begins six months after the last day of attendance.
- Direct Federal PLUS Loan Program – Parents with a good credit history can get these funds to help their children pay for college.
- Work Study – This program provides part-time jobs for students to help them earn money to pay their educational expenses.
Veterans Education Assistance
High Desert Medical College is also approved for Veterans Assistance. This means that certain benefits can be utilized at our institution for those who qualify. These benefits are available to help advance the skills and education of Veterans and Service members. Spouses and family members are also eligible for education and training assistance.
The programs and training we offer at High Desert Medical College that qualify for Veterans Education Assistance include:
- Vocational Nursing
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Medical administrative Assistant
- Ultrasound Technician
“G.I. Bill” benefits are available to those who qualify. At High Desert Medical College, we are eligible for the following:
Still have questions about Veterans Benefits? For any further information about Veterans Benefits or to see if you qualify, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website to learn more.
Need help with how to start the Financial Aid process? To learn about our financial aid opportunities at High Desert Medical College and where to begin, visit our Financial Aid page, or contact the High Desert Medical College Financial Aid Office at (661) 940-9300.